random opening

You notice we review lots of horror movies - that is true, my brother an I tend to favor that genre. However, we have seen plenty of the classics, romantic comedies, sci-fi, action, biographies, foreign films, indie films, anime, and westerns, to boot.



Look around end enjoy. Leave comments or email us.


Saturday, August 20, 2011

Quick Look: The Crazies (2010)


I had a chance to watch this movie recently, I had been trying to catch up to it, as Timothy Olyphant is the lead character - the Sheriff - and I have been impressed with his recent works (Justified, Hitman, Deadwood, e.g.).
I guess I would call this a nouveau-zombie-like movie.  It is a reboot/remake of a 1973 movie of the same name.  A toxin (or virus) gets into the water supply of an Iowa town and turns the people there into zombie looking (pale, veiny skin) highly violent killers.  The key difference being that these infected people still maintain their higher brain functions, enough to drive, talk, aim guns, and think.  The military quickly responds to contain the situation.  The story centers on Olyphant attempting to evade the "crazy" townsfolk and the military, to get out of town with his pregnant wife and a few others.
The scariest moments, in my opinion, were early on in the film, so it was kind of let down getting to the end.
It's worth a look on cable, rental, or a discount DVD.  It has some good intense moments, mixed with very believable performances.  I would not call it overly gory, and did not have any of those "comic relief" moments that appear in many of today's horror films.

No comments:

Post a Comment