random opening

You notice we review lots of horror movies - that is true, my brother an I tend to favor that genre. However, we have seen plenty of the classics, romantic comedies, sci-fi, action, biographies, foreign films, indie films, anime, and westerns, to boot.



Look around end enjoy. Leave comments or email us.


Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bob's Idea for a movie: The Phantom of the Opera

I know what you’re probably saying; “They made that movie already.” What was released in 2004 was a movie based on Andrew Lloyd Weber’s musical, but you already knew that. The thing I hate about that movie and the musical on which it is based is that it makes people forget that Phantom of the Opera was a BOOK. Written by Gaston Laroux, it was published in 1910. Weber’s version debuted in London in 1986, and yet I have heard a number of people refer to this as the “original.” I would very much like to see a new film made which is faithful to the source material. To date, the closest film adaptation was the silent film starring Lon Chaney as the phantom, which is a movie I highly recommend everyone see. One idea I had is for Chris Nolan to make the movie with Cilian Murphy as the phantom. Something to that caliber.
At any rate, I would like to see a movie with more of the shroud of mystery and darkness the novel contained. Include the character from the book called “The Persian,” who was a figure in the phantom’s past and join Raoul in his mission to save his love. And, have the phantom’s entire face disfigured as it is described in the book, not just a quarter of in as in the musical.
These are just my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment