random opening

You notice we review lots of horror movies - that is true, my brother an I tend to favor that genre. However, we have seen plenty of the classics, romantic comedies, sci-fi, action, biographies, foreign films, indie films, anime, and westerns, to boot.



Look around end enjoy. Leave comments or email us.


Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Bob's Quick View: Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)

After the heart of Starfleet is attacked by a lone terrorist, the Enterprise crew is sent to the edge of the Neutral Zone to take down their enemy who is hiding on the Klingon home world. Once there, a moral conundrum forces Kirk and company to disobey orders and risk galactic war by capturing the fugitive rather than killing him from a distance. This choice throws Kirk and company into a battle resolve and ethics that could cost the lives of billions across the stars.

I know I’ve only seen this once, but it’s going on my list of top science fiction films. J.J. Abrams has once again delivers a Trek film that easily rivals the best of the originals in quality and experience. Even though time has passed between the previous film and this one, it still feels as if we pick up right where the last one left off, which in this case is a good thing. We continue to see the friendship between Kirk and Spock grow, as well as Kirk growing and evolving closer to the character old school Trek fans have come to know over the years. The story (I’m doing my best to avoid spoilers) hooks the viewer in early and never lets go. There is plenty of awesome action to satisfy the summer movie viewers, but they serve to further the story and never feels forced or inserted into the movie simply to get the adrenaline going. The version I saw was in 2d (I feel 3d is getting old) and the special effects were amazing and well used; i.e. no “Phantom Menace effect” here. Part of the movie is set on the Klingon homeworld, yet Klingons as characters are only seen in one scene of the movie. I’m not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, they’re roll in the conflict of the movie isn’t a direct one, so not a lot of screen time is needed on their part. On the other hand, Klingons are highly popular in Trek fandom and giving them more of a physical presence might have been a little more satisfying, especially given the fact that certain members of Starfleet are about to start a war with their world. Maybe for the next film? Newcomers to Star Trek will enjoy this film without difficulty, but unlike the previous film, there are many calls and references to the franchise that only long time fans such as yours truly will pick up on.
All in all, I give this movie my highest recommendations; and it’s not just because I am a life long Trek fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment